Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My First Garden

I definitely learned a lot this year. Spacing...spacing...spacing! I planted things way too close to each other. Who knew zucchini plants get so massive? Not me!  I also learned that cucumbers don't just climb, they attach to everything around it.  Tomatoes need the bigger cages, even if it seems stupid at the time. They get super tall and heavy and those little cages don't stand a chance!
This garden was a great experience. I loved working in it and seeing things grow.  Even with things so cramped together, we still got a good amount of veggies.  Everything took off except for the spinach (got shaded by massive zucchini) and sugar snap peas (planted too late).  All in all, it was a success!
I am already planning out what I want to grow next year and how I can plant smarter!  I put reminders on my calendar of when to plant things from seed.  I might even try starting some of my seeds indoors.  
Growing my own food was more enjoyable than I thought it would be. It is fun, and you know where everything comes from and what was used to grow it.

If you have any gardening secrets you're willing to share, I'd love to hear them!
~Charlie


0 comments:

Post a Comment