Thursday, May 3, 2012
Kitchen Adventures: Apple Cinnamon Granola
3 cups of rolled oats
1/4 cup of sugar-free apple sauce
1/2 to 3/4 cup brown sugar (depends on your taste)
1 tbs of cinnamon (feel free to add more if you love it)
1 teaspoon of vanilla
Honey or Agave
1 cup of nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds)
Handful of flaxseed (optional)
Dried apple slices (optional)
Preheat oven to 350
1. Measure and add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix. (oatmeal, cinnamon, brown sugar, nuts, fruit)
2. Add in your vanilla and apple sauce. Mix together well, making sure that all of the oats are covered. (Using your hands here is always best... I know its sticky, but it is the best way)
3. Now, add in honey/agave a little at a time until clumps start to form.
4. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. I stir mine every 5 minutes until its done (once I didn't and it burnt bad... learned from my mistakes).
5. Remove from oven, let cool and enjoy! Store in an air tight container.
Feel free to add to or take away from this recipe. If you don't have dried apples, its no big deal... I often don't either. If you only have plain old Mott's apple sauce in the fridge, just use it... it will be fine! :)