Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Faux Enamel Broach and Ring DIY

I love the look of enamel broaches.  They're so pretty and timeless, but I don't have much luck thrifting them. When I do find them in shops, they're often more than I can bare to spend.  I do own one, thanks to my grammy and her lovely stash of amazing things :).  So with my new found love of Triple Thick, I thought... why not make a replica? (well not exactly a replica... but close and still cute!)


What you need:
  • Wax paper
  • Triple Thick
  • Those fabric paper flowers from the scrapbooking aisle.
  • Pin back
  • Ring base
  • Buttons/Brads or something for the center.
  • Toothpicks
  • E-6000 glue
  • Styrofoam circle (or something to stick the toothpick into)
  • Foam Brush (or any brush you don't mind ruining)

1. Cover your work surface with wax paper.
2a. Take the flowers and coat them in a thin, even coat of Triple Thick.  I found that for the larger flowers it is easier to brush it on while the flower is laying flat on the wax paper.  Don't worry, it will pull off fairly easy after it is dry.  
2b. For smaller flowers, I like dipping them directly into the Triple Thick with a toothpick. You can just stick them into your foam circle and let them drip dry.

3.Once they're completely dry, take a toothpick and poke it through the center so that a brad (if you choose to use one) or a shaft button will lay a little flatter.

4. Glue all of your layers together near the center.

5. Glue on the button with E-6000

6. Glue on your pin back or your ring back.

7. Let dry and enjoy!!!

If you have any questions please let me know, and if you make one I'd love to see it!

~Charlie

0 comments:

Post a Comment